Thursday, October 9, 2008

Getting Older

I have come to the conclusion that it really sucks to be getting older. Case in point: Last Friday at 6 in the morning I went outside to feed the critters (birds and squirrels). As I walked toward the feeder I missed the step off the patio and my foot landed sideways. Ouch! I hobbled to the feeder (critters come first) and then into the house. As the day progressed my ankle got worse and worse. By Friday night I could not put any weight on it (and I have plenty), and the ankle was all swollen. I decided to stop being stubborn and to take people's advice. Saturday Sue took me to urgent care. So much for Urgent Care, they would not even see me and sent me to the hospital emergency room. We spent 2 1/2 hours at the ER, not my way of enjoying conference weekend. The X-ray showed I had a sprained ankle with some slight ligament tears. I realized this was the first time in my life I have been on crutches. About 3 hours later, the doctor called and said the radiaoligist looked at the x-ray and saw a small bone chip or flake, whatever. Treatment was the same, stay off the foot for a few days.

I was on the crutches for 3 days and graduated to a cane. Today (Thursday) I can walk again, however, last night I aggrevated it again. I got up in the miidle of the night and the dog decided to join me, right under my feet. She tripped me and I landed on my knees and wrists. Spent the rest of the night in pain from my ankle and wrist. At least the dog knew she did wrong as she quickly came over to see if I was okay, as if to say "I'm sorry", and gave me a lick.

Sue was so sweet taking care of me the way she did. Love you dear.

I find as I get older I have less and less patience. Especially for certain things, such as stupid people, not stupid things people do, but stupid people. In an attempt to stop calling people "stupid" or"morons" I decided to call them "non-thinkers". Anyway, Katy was over Saturday for conference and she wanted to work on some sort of top-secret wood project. She wanted to use my router. I told her I bought it about 5 years ago and I could never get it to work properly, in fact I thought I broke it trying. Needless to say, I lacked the patience to set it up properly. Katy spent about an hour actually reading the instructions and analyzing all the parts. She got the darn thing to work and it worked very well. I realized how patient and intelligent she is (although I already knew that) and how impatient I can be.

One final note, last Sunday I gave in to my desires and upgraded my camera. This was a tough decision as it was several hundred dollars. Thanks to some encouraging from Sue, I realized how boring my life is and photography is about my only hobby. I don't have the camera yet as it needs to get delivered, but stay tuned for the first pictures.

1 comment: